Find us at
120 Pine Street Paw Paw, MI 49079
First Presbyterian Church of Paw Paw
Ministry Description for Choir Director
Title: Choir Director, Part Time
Click here for the Job Application
Reports to: Pastor, in cooperation with the Worship Commission; annual evaluations conducted by the Personnel Commission of the Session.
Overview and Mission:
First Presbyterian Church of Paw Paw values music as a central part of worship. Music is the language of the heart and soul that helps us connect to God’s voice and call. Worship is also one of the primary places where the church meets the world. Music, therefore, helps us point people to God. We strive to invite participation in worship through a variety of music-styles. We seek a Choir Director who will select music from a balanced variety of styles and traditions, including the great classic hymns written in 1520-1870, the old gospel hymns written in 1871-1935, contemporary Christian/praise songs, as well as music celebrating the diverse cultures that worship in the Christian tradition.
The Choir Director is responsible for providing leadership in the area of choral music, rehearsing and directing a vocal choir, collaborating with the Pastor and Worship Commission to plan worship, and working with accompanists and other musicians as needed.
All of these responsibilities are to be undertaken in a manner consistent with the purpose of worship as described in the Book of Order:
“Christian worship joyfully ascribes all praise and honor, glory and power to the Triune God. In worship, the people of God acknowledge God present and in their lives. As they respond to God’s claim and redemptive action in Jesus Christ, believers are transformed and renewed, the faithful offer themselves to God and are equipped for God’s service in the world.” Book of Order 2015-2017, W-1.1001
Qualities and Qualifications:
• Have experience with or understanding of Reformed theology and worship
• Have the ability to work with a wide range of ages, personalities and musical skill levels
• Demonstrate willingness and ability to explore music from a variety of time periods, genres and cultures
• Holds a degree in music, or demonstrated equivalent experience in choral conducting
• Have skills and experience in choral direction, vocal music, and selecting music that enhances the message being conveyed in worship
• Possess administrative and leadership abilities in developing and maintaining a choir, working with other staff, and in verbal an written communications
• Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check
Duties and Responsibilities
• Recruit and develop a choir capable of singing a variety of musical styles
• Conduct weekly rehearsals for the choir from September through May
• Select and present choral anthems during worship two times per month and for special services
• Select pieces from the current music library, or purchase new music in accordance with the church budget and spending policies
• Meet with the Pastor and Worship Commission to collaborate on worship planning
• Submit music selections for worship to the church secretary as scheduled (ie, by Wednesday of the week in which the selection will be offered).
• Upon request, write articles to publicize music-related events in church publications.
• Comply with all Church, Presbytery and PC (USA) policies and procedures, and the laws of the United States and Michigan, including copyright laws.
Terms and Compensation
• For rehearsals and worship services September – May, compensation shall be $50 per week-night rehearsal of at least 60 minutes, and $100 per worship service (includes rehearsal prior to worship)
• Additional stipend of $100 per month for up to 8 hours of planning time, meetings preparation and administration
• Compensation will be paid bi-monthly
This position is an exempt, at-will position within the laws and guidelines of the U.S. and the State of Michigan and may be terminated at any time for any lawful reason.